• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

MLB Trivia

pool_hustler

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!
The "Big Train" had 110 shutouts! Think about that for a minute. How many pitchers in MLB history even have 100 wins? And this dude has 110 shutouts??!

Yeah no kidding. Remarkable.

Ok here's a pretty obscure one (I think?)
What Houston Astro was both Nolan Ryan and Bob Gibson's 3000th strikeout victim?

pool_hustler

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!
Hey, you getting these off the back of those Topps baseball cards? :rofl2:

Remember them? :) ;)

Yep :) At one time I had tons of great old baseball cards...which, in an attempt to tidy up my room for guests and such, my parents idiotically threw away (without asking my permission) after I went off to college :facepalm: :brick:
I shudder to think what some of them might be worth now.

Cesar Cedeno?

You are on quite a roll, senor Jagger. Cesar Cedeno is correctamundo!

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
OK....so it was Geronimo and not Cedeno? And a Red and not an Astro? I didn't think my guessing skills were quite that good! :1orglaugh

All right. Only 3 players in MLB history have spanked 600 HRs and collected 3,000 hits. Name them.

BTW, I have several shoeboxes full of Topps cards from the 1980s. I'll dig them out when I retire and see what they are worth. I had a bunch from the 1960s as well but my Mom likewise pitched them when I refused to clean up my room as a kid. Ahhhh....love her always anyway even though she's long passed away. I forgive you, Mom!!

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Alex Rodriguez. Willie's godson, Barry Bonds isn't that far off either. Though he doesn't have 3000, he's real close. Babe Ruth has something like 2850 +.

Jagger69

Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Alex Rodriguez. Willie's godson, Barry Bonds isn't that far off either. Though he doesn't have 3000, he's real close. Babe Ruth has something like 2850 +.

Yep! A-Roid with an asterisk perhaps? I never saw less ballyhoo about someone getting their 3,000th hit than him.

ThatRedWing

MasterBlaster
With the staff that they had I would think someone from the O's. I'll guess Mike Flanagan.

Jagger69

I ended up looking this up. I don't think anyone will get this one. Not exactly a household name....

barebeaverlover

Got two nipples for a dime?
The answer is Rick Langford of the Oakland A's. Billy Martin wore that staff out. A great example of what NOT to do to a pitching staff. The only reason I knew about this streak is that 1 of our local sports stations did a special on him. Langford is a roving pitching instructor for the Jays.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The answer is Rick Langford of the Oakland A's. Billy Martin wore that staff out. A great example of what NOT to do to a pitching staff. The only reason I knew about this streak is that 1 of our local sports stations did a special on him. Langford is a roving pitching instructor for the Jays.

Yes Billy Martin did wear the staff out. As examples,

1. on the good side, Mike Norris ... was 22-9 and threw 284 1/3 innings with 33 GS and 24 CG. He came in second in the 1980 AL Cy Young Award voting.
2. on the bad side, Brian Kingman ... Was 8-20 and threw 211 1/3 innings with 30 GS and 10 CG. He retired after the 1983 season, with a 23-45 career W-L record.