• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

It's "You're" not Your

Harley Spencer

Official Checked Star Member
What bothers me are grammar nazis who complain about the English of people who's main language is NOT English. I'm Belgian, I speak Dutch, and I SURE DO MAKE mistakes when I speak or write English. Or any other language for that matter. Are you guys fluent in any other language? With no mistakes at all?

I don't get it. People all over the world are learning English because it's an important language, but you don't learn a language overnight. Things may seem very evident to you like the difference between "than" and "then", but when learning the language you sure do screw up sometimes when words sound similar. Even if you know the difference in meaning.
What bothers me is the complaining and bitching. What bothers me is that people who's main language is English, take it for granted that their language is an important one in the world and that everyone should be as fluent in it as they themselves. You get irritated by mistakes... Why? In all my time posting on forums (or on the web in general) I never had a message from someone telling me something like "Good job man, but I see you're always mixing up the words then and than. You should...". It's always bitching. It's always "I'm holier than thou" and you make mistakes and I am so fucking good. I don't think it's a coincidence people all over the world know two English words even if they don't speak the language at all:

Fuck you

For people whose first language isn't English, it's different. I don't know any languages fluently, other than English, and I know I'd make lots of mistakes trying to learn another language. English is a hard language to learn. Lots of people that teach languages have said that English is the hardest language to learn, and I agree, it probably is.

But for people whose first language is English, when they are constantly making these mistakes, it gets a little annoying.

I know exactly what you mean about people who speak English getting all holier than thou about the language. I was in a line at a coffee place a few months ago, and there was an older man in front of me, who had two Asians in front of him (I'm not good at distinguishing exact Asian nationalities, like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, so I just say Asian). The two Asians were talking to each other in their native language, and the old man in front of me growled at them, "Go back to where you came from if you can't speak English. This is America!" I'm just like.... wow, seriously? What if you went to another country, for whatever reason, and you didn't know anyone but the person you were with, you weren't fluent in the language, and you were just hanging out at a restaurant? Would you not talk to each other in your native language? Honestly. People can be so rude.

Oh, EDIT: Fuck you can be fun to say, no wonder people learn those words! :)

2nd EDIT: And it's not just this forum where I see people whose first language is English making these mistakes. This board is extremely diverse, but some other forums I've interacted on consisted of mainly Americans, and really, it's kind of embarrassing to see so many Americans that don't know their own language.

How about this little gem as a teaching tool:

Whether the weather be fine,
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold,
Or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not.

Similar is mistaking "ironic" for "coincidental."

Guy: Oh, look! We're meeting here at the same time!
Other Guy: How ironic!

Um... no. That's a coincidence.

Irony = eating a vegetarian.

What bothers me are grammar nazis who complain about the English of people who's main language is NOT English. I'm Belgian, I speak Dutch, and I SURE DO MAKE mistakes when I speak or write English. Or any other language for that matter. Are you guys fluent in any other language? With no mistakes at all?

I don't get it. People all over the world are learning English because it's an important language, but you don't learn a language overnight. Things may seem very evident to you like the difference between "than" and "then", but when learning the language you sure do screw up sometimes when words sound similar. Even if you know the difference in meaning.
What bothers me is the complaining and bitching. What bothers me is that people who's main language is English, take it for granted that their language is an important one in the world and that everyone should be as fluent in it as they themselves. You get irritated by mistakes... Why? In all my time posting on forums (or on the web in general) I never had a message from someone telling me something like "Good job man, but I see you're always mixing up the words then and than. You should...". It's always bitching. It's always "I'm holier than thou" and you make mistakes and I am so fucking good. I don't think it's a coincidence people all over the world know two English words even if they don't speak the language at all:

Fuck you

Settle down, we're complaining about our own kind (native English speakers). Most of the stuff we're complaining about is done by people who speak English as a first language.

Facetious

Moderated
The thing I have most trouble with these days is the possessive plurals and in some cases, the proper location for commas.
The odd thing is, "x" years ago when I was in high school and jr. college, I aced english, it was my best subject, however today I'm a bit out of practice and should refresh my skills.
Nah, I'd rather drink beer and be out on the town at night after work. :glugglug:

x= longer than I really want to talk about right now if ever.

Fuck you

For people whose first language isn't English, it's different. I don't know any languages fluently, other than English, and I know I'd make lots of mistakes trying to learn another language. English is a hard language to learn. Lots of people that teach languages have said that English is the hardest language to learn, and I agree, it probably is.

But for people whose first language is English, when they are constantly making these mistakes, it gets a little annoying.

I know exactly what you mean about people who speak English getting all holier than thou about the language. I was in a line at a coffee place a few months ago, and there was an older man in front of me, who had two Asians in front of him (I'm not good at distinguishing exact Asian nationalities, like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, so I just say Asian). The two Asians were talking to each other in their native language, and the old man in front of me growled at them, "Go back to where you came from if you can't speak English. This is America!" I'm just like.... wow, seriously? What if you went to another country, for whatever reason, and you didn't know anyone but the person you were with, you weren't fluent in the language, and you were just hanging out at a restaurant? Would you not talk to each other in your native language? Honestly. People can be so rude.

Oh, EDIT: Fuck you can be fun to say, no wonder people learn those words! :)

2nd EDIT: And it's not just this forum where I see people whose first language is English making these mistakes. This board is extremely diverse, but some other forums I've interacted on consisted of mainly Americans, and really, it's kind of embarrassing to see so many Americans that don't know their own language.

I agree with both

grammarnaziinvalidargument.jpg

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
English was absolutely my worst subject in school. Spelling, grammar, punctuation, the whole nine yards. Till this day I have to use spell check and other tools to try and not look like an illiterate. I do miss the ball sometimes even though I may take 10 minutes trying to construct just a few sentences. I use the tools and try to give my reader some sort of respect. When I see,"u no what im talkin bout rite?" That shit is just plian lazy. Make some sort of effort.

Are you guys fluent in any other language? With no mistakes at all?

Why, as a matter of fact, I do. :)

Seriously, though, I understand if a foreigner makes a mistake in another language. Hell, if I try saying anything in any language other than the two I've spoken all my life I will definitely make mistakes, and I would sure want a native to be patient with me. Even French, which I've spoken since I was 12, I make more mistakes than I can count.

What bothers me is when a native speaker completely bastardizes the language because he's too lazy to learn the proper way of writing what he's trying to say.

Don't even get me started on ebonics. :violent:

If anyone is having trouble with the English language, and I'm talking about people that use English as their first language, just dial this number, 1-800-222-3334.

Thank you for starting this thread. :hatsoff:
I think most of us are aware that this thread is mostly aimed for those who's first language is English, not those who are trying to learn it. If English is your first language, then please try to speak/write/type it correctly. Not just here, but in general. It will help you in life. The term "grammar nazi" is just an excuse/lame insult for lazy people to hide behind when they don't want to be corrected. The words you use, and the way you say them, say a lot about you and affects the strength of the point you're trying to make. Nobody's perfect and we all make mistakes, but you can usually tell the difference between an error and someone who just doesn't know - or doesn't care, which is worse.

Larss, I absolutely agree with you're frustration It gets to me too, whenever people use your in place of you're.. pisses me right off! :mad: English will be the most important language and they be laughing stock if they're don't learn it properly.

:clap:

:D

I forgot to mention the dreaded misuse of "to" and "too".

"Too" means 'also'.

"To" is for direction.

"I'm going to kill you."
"Me too."

Thank you for starting this thread. :hatsoff:
I think most of us are aware that this thread is mostly aimed for those who's first language is English, not those who are trying to learn it. If English is your first language, then please try to speak/write/type it correctly. Not just here, but in general. It will help you in life. The term "grammar nazi" is just an excuse/lame insult for lazy people to hide behind when they don't want to be corrected. The words you use, and the way you say them, say a lot about you and affects the strength of the point you're trying to make. Nobody's perfect and we all make mistakes, but you can usually tell the difference between an error and someone who just doesn't know - or doesn't care, which is worse.

I believe that should be whose. ;)

your crazy

Mayhem

Banned
It should be pretty obvious that this thread is about people who are native English speakers, who are too lazy/stupid/pseudo-charming to learn to spell and punctuate correctly (although some of the comments directed at assari try to refute this point). Part of the problem is ignorance, the other part is texting. It's a pain-in-the-ass, the world requires everyone to do it, and you really can't blame someone for wanting to condense what they are saying.

georges

Staff member
I know that this should not get to me as much as it does, but for Pete's sake, if you want to say "You are", then it may be written as "you're" NOT "Your".

If you're one of those people that do not know your your from your you're, please think twice before you type your message and work out whether you mean "you are" or mean belonging to.

Their, there and they're is the other one that gets my goat.

They're over there waving their arms.

:mad:
me too:dito:

Mandy Flores

Official Checked Star Member
I know that this should not get to me as much as it does, but for Pete's sake, if you want to say "You are", then it may be written as "you're" NOT "Your".

If you're one of those people that do not know your your from your you're, please think twice before you type your message and work out whether you mean "you are" or mean belonging to.

Their, there and they're is the other one that gets my goat.

They're over there waving their arms.

:mad:
Seriously...you need to go to counseling :) You made a thread about this? The ones who repeatedly make this mistake because they don't know the difference wouldn't spend the time to read this anyway :) LOL I know I do it every once in a while but just because I'm typing too fast. I like the ones that can't figure out too, to, and two. Makes me feel superior :elaugh: