• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Brit culture / Living in the UK

1702279980008.png

Apparently this is how the BBC News starts their show?

Does the middle finger mean the same thing / carry the same weight in the UK? I have watched a number of British sitcoms and have more often seen people holding up two fingers instead of just the middle one (Internet calls this a V-sign).

Two fingers up with the nails facing you, insult. Two fingers up with the nails facing me, V for Victory. At least that's how it is now.

Holding up the middle finger? Still an insult in the UK.

I know in Australia it's true too - palm facing toward the person giving the gesture is vulgar and equivalent to just the middle finger.

It's even a trophy in Mirror's edge:

I didn't realize the difference between the UK and Great Britain. Am I correct in saying that "Great Britain" doesn't include Northern Ireland, while "UK" does?

Also, Does that mean Britain and England are the same?

Great Britain is the island: Wales, England and Scotland
The UK is Great Britain with Northern-Ireland.

The following exchange could take place in America:

Person A: I have a 13-inch penis.
Person B: Yeah and I'm the Queen of England.

I understand Person A would not be using inches but would Person B's response be something one would say? Is there a different person used in England to express incredulity in this way?

Steve-FreeOnes

FO Admin / "rude, unnecessary attitude" (he/they)
Staff member
The following exchange could take place in America:

Person A: I have a 13-inch penis.
Person B: Yeah and I'm the Queen of England.

I understand Person A would not be using inches but would Person B's response be something one would say? Is there a different person used in England to express incredulity in this way?
We use inches to measure some stuff, such as cocks. You can replace Person B with all manner of stuff such as "Yeah and I'm shagging Taylor Swift" (true btw) or something like that. We like to vary the response so as not to seem clichéd.

Also, the queen is dead so Person B shouldn't be able to say anything.

We use inches to measure some stuff, such as cocks. You can replace Person B with all manner of stuff such as "Yeah and I'm shagging Taylor Swift" (true btw) or something like that. We like to vary the response so as not to seem clichéd.

Also, the queen is dead so Person B shouldn't be able to say anything.
Yak does have a point that some people in North America (esp older people) do say "I'm the queen/king of England" as a go-to retort, but don't say things like "I'm the PM of Canada". I assume Brits don't say "I'm the king of England", but was there a similar thing were you would say "I'm the prez of the US?"

This made me smile this morning. I think it's said of these, Canada is one of the only ones who got their independence by politely asking for it :)
1712501614072.png

Yup! 65 and counting, per Google (I thought it was much higher?):

As our infographic shows, over the years, 65 countries have claimed independence so far.