• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Ask an American...

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Does all doors in america really open inwards so that they are easy to kick in?

No, in fact I think most public places have doors that open out or go both ways either because it's a good idea or because the law requires them to. (in case of a fire or another reason where people have to get out in a hurry)

As far as people's homes go I don't know. It might be because that's what we have always been used to or maybe it's because you can put the hinges on the inside so nobody messes with them. :dunno:

Dear Americans,

I have made several experiments and I have come to this conclusion: Some Americans have difficulties with writing equipment. Would you please tell me:

1. Is that the way primary school teachers show little Americans how to hold writing equipment?
How to hold a pencil - 1
How to hold a pencil - 2

2. Why do most Americans write the digit 2 with a tedious swirl?

3. Why do American manufacturers insist on yellow pencil bodies?

Thank you very much for your concern.
Kind regards.

Dear Americans,

I have made several experiments and I have come to this conclusion: Some Americans have difficulties with writing equipment. Would you please tell me:

1. Is that the way primary school teachers show little Americans how to hold writing equipment?

3. Why do American manufacturers insist on yellow pencil bodies?

Thank you very much for your concern.
Kind regards.

1. I don't know why they hold it that way, but from my experience we are usually taught to hold a pencil the same way everybody else does it using the thumb and index to grip it with the middle finger for support.

2. I write the number 2 without the swirl, but if I had to guess why some people do it it's probably because it's one smooth motion instead of stopping and reversing direction. I find it less tedious than people who right the number 7 with a line through it.

3. Now that I think about it I have no idea.

^^^Great, that, I've always wondered about that word, thanks. :thumbsup:

Do you think New Orleans would benefit from a MLB franchise, or other major sports team? It seems Football is the only one they have.

And what do Americans think of the Government's response, or lack thereof, to that disaster situation? :wave2:

Perhaps to differentiate it from zed in fast writing. The presence or absence of a loop is easier to recognize than deciphering the degree of the upper curvature absent in a 2 or misapplied in Z.
Some people put a line through the middle of Z for the same reason.

As for how the pencil is held ... :dunno:
Have you ever noticed the wide variety of ways in which various Asians hold chopsticks? Similar reasons I'd expect.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
^^^Great, that, I've always wondered about that word, thanks. :thumbsup:

Do you think New Orleans would benefit from a MLB franchise, or other major sports team? It seems Football is the only one they have.

And what do Americans think of the Government's response, or lack thereof, to that disaster situation? :wave2:

1. The second question kind of answers the first. I would think any team owner would be wary of locating a franchise in NO after Katrina. But even before that football was the main sport there, and that might also explain why no other major sports are found there. Not much interest.
2. Most Americans feel the federal response to Katrina was inexcusably slow. After denying this, Dubya eventually apologized--after social and political pressure.

Compared to Europe, America seems to have a high rate of driving related deaths. But what is the average yearly mileage for an American driver? I suspect in the Land of Automobiles, it's a good deal higher than most other countries. :wave2:

Compared to Europe, America seems to have a high rate of driving related deaths. But what is the average yearly mileage for an American driver? I suspect in the Land of Automobiles, it's a good deal higher than most other countries. :wave2:

I saw a poll recently that said the average American drives 50-60 miles a day. So that would work out to around 18,000-21,000 miles a year. That seems kinda high to me, but its at least in the ball park.

That has to be way more than the average European. We Americans are a lot more spread out.

I saw a poll recently that said the average American drives 50-60 miles a day. So that would work out to around 18,000-21,000 miles a year. That seems kinda high to me, but its at least in the ball park.

That has to be way more than the average European. We Americans are a lot more spread out.

That's about twice as much as the British average. It's a lot, but means the road death rate is still at least twice that of Britain on a mileage basis. I wonder why there are so many fatals? :wave2:

That's about twice as much as the British average. It's a lot, but means the road death rate is still at least twice that of Britain on a mileage basis. I wonder why there are so many fatals? :wave2:

There are more fatalities on our roads because our roads are filled with gigantic SUVs and Semi-trucks. When these vehicles get in a wreck, people don't walk away from the other vehicle, especially if it isn't an SUV...

What else would the world like to know....