• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Who is Your Favorite Classical Music Composer?

Who is Your Favorite Classical Music Composer?

• Total voters
Since this thread was originally started I have really begun to get into classical music and specially that from the 18th century, like Johann Stamitz, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, Luigi Boccherini and most of all Joseph Haydn.
The above mentioned Chevalier de Saint-George seems to have composed a bunch of good violin concertos and lived a life worthy of a movie.

People find it hard to believe, but I really adore the music of Arnold Schoenberg. I love his lush, Romantic orchestration combined with a very intellectual approach to musical constructs. Finding alternatives for traditional harmonic structure is very cool, and the ensuing music is interesting to listen to, and satisfying to analyze.

However, I also really love J. S. Bach. The amazing intricacies of his music is hard to wrap your head around, and yet, when listening to something like Cantata #4, Christ lag in Todesbanden, the explicit simplicity of the exposed Cantus Firmus throughout is entrancing. That's one of my favourite pieces of music ever written - the moment in the first chorale when the word "Alleluia" first shows up is...hard to believe. If well performed, it can bring tears to my eyes every time.

And all you choral music lovers, check out the work of Eric Whitacre, especially works like "Cloudburst." His text painting is hard to beat.

People find it hard to believe, but I really adore the music of Arnold Schoenberg. I love his lush, Romantic orchestration combined with a very intellectual approach to musical constructs. Finding alternatives for traditional harmonic structure is very cool, and the ensuing music is interesting to listen to, and satisfying to analyze.

Eh. Schoenberg was never really my cup of tea. I can totally understand where you're coming from, but it's a bit too far out there for me. I like listening to something where at any given moment I can find a tonal center. Lack of one leaves me feeling empty and overall dirty.

Also, about the analysis bit, I never got how combinatoriality works. I get that it's taking a row, an inversion, cutting them in half, and then putting them together, but I never quite understood the nuts and bolts of it. :confused: :helpme:

However, I also really love J. S. Bach. The amazing intricacies of his music is hard to wrap your head around, and yet, when listening to something like Cantata #4, Christ lag in Todesbanden, the explicit simplicity of the exposed Cantus Firmus throughout is entrancing. That's one of my favourite pieces of music ever written - the moment in the first chorale when the word "Alleluia" first shows up is...hard to believe. If well performed, it can bring tears to my eyes every time.

Ya know, I admit I've never heard a choral version of it before. I've played it in several instrumental settings, from solo guitar to chamber orchestra, but I've never heard it sung. :o

And all you choral music lovers, check out the work of Eric Whitacre, especially works like "Cloudburst." His text painting is hard to beat.

:glugglug: We had a few things by him in college choir groups. There was an Allelluia that just completely blew my fucking mind every time we rehearsed it, and when we actually performed it I nearly jizzed my pants. The harmonies that he uses create a spine-tingling effect when they're sung by 50+ a capella human voices. Amazing stuff.

Eh. Schoenberg was never really my cup of tea. I can totally understand where you're coming from, but it's a bit too far out there for me. I like listening to something where at any given moment I can find a tonal center. Lack of one leaves me feeling empty and overall dirty.

Also, about the analysis bit, I never got how combinatoriality works. I get that it's taking a row, an inversion, cutting them in half, and then putting them together, but I never quite understood the nuts and bolts of it. :confused: :helpme:

You've got the basic bits of combinatoriality, but that's really only one trick in Schoenberg's (and others) bag. The basic premise is this: assign a number to each note (C=0, C#=1, D=2, etc. etc .), arrange them in such a way that when you invert them, the first six of the original row are the same numbers as the last six of the inverted row. That means it is impossible to have the same note sounding at the same time, thus avoiding any one note sounding as a tonal centre. This is called Hexachordal combinatoriality. There is also tetrachordal combinatoriality, though I prefer hexachordal.

I understand it can be tough listening. I find the payoff is huge. Once you latch on to one bit that really makes sense to you as you listen, you hear it over and over, and the whole thing falls into place. Beautiful. For example:

(anyone interested, I can show you how that shit is put together in a really magnificent way, a way that even includes a traditional Sonata format as Hayden would have used Sonata form.)

Ya know, I admit I've never heard a choral version of it before. I've played it in several instrumental settings, from solo guitar to chamber orchestra, but I've never heard it sung. :o

Bach set it several ways - for Choir, for organ, and for chamber orchestra. He seemed, for a short time around 1716 to be obsessed with this particular tune. Listen here (this isn't a stellar performance, but I can't find my own choir on youtube right now...:) ), the finest moment of this work is at 4:18, when the tenors lead with the Cantus Firmus, and then it changes to a dance shortly after.

:glugglug: We had a few things by him in college choir groups. There was an Allelluia that just completely blew my fucking mind every time we rehearsed it, and when we actually performed it I nearly jizzed my pants. The harmonies that he uses create a spine-tingling effect when they're sung by 50+ a capella human voices. Amazing stuff.

Being in the middle of a choir performing works such as this is a life changing experience, I think. Now, imagine directing the choir, and shaping that sound personally. It is amazing. Arvo Part is also an amazing experience. I've directed this many times, and it is emotional every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbxnnC22gwY

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Have any of you guys heard of the russian composer, Georgy Vasilevich Sviridov?

Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima is a tough listen on recording, but if you can ever see it live, do it. The intensity the performance demands on the performers bleeds into the audience. It's a very emotional experience.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Johann Sebastian Bach

He ripped in Skid Row....

:facepalm:

Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima is a tough listen on recording, but if you can ever see it live, do it. The intensity the performance demands on the performers bleeds into the audience. It's a very emotional experience.

Something I would definitely love to see.

(anyone interested, I can show you how that shit is put together in a really magnificent way, a way that even includes a traditional Sonata format as Hayden would have used Sonata form.)
I would like to see it, even if I probably doesn´t understand anything. I am interested to know if there is any classicism in the second Viennese school as I havread that there was some kind of classicist revival in the 1920s.

I would like to see it, even if I probably doesn´t understand anything. I am interested to know if there is any classicism in the second Viennese school as I havread that there was some kind of classicist revival in the 1920s.

Schoenberg wasn't a classicist; he developed serialism into what is known as the twelve-tone technique, where no one pitch is more important than the other eleven in the octave. A pitch cannot be repeated until the other eleven have been played, hence the lack of tonal centers.

Schoenberg wasn't a classicist; he developed serialism into what is known as the twelve-tone technique, where no one pitch is more important than the other eleven in the octave. A pitch cannot be repeated until the other eleven have been played, hence the lack of tonal centers.

He was, however, a neo-Romanticist. He brought salient elements from that era into his composition.

He was, however, a neo-Romanticist. He brought salient elements from that era into his composition.

What, you mean the blatant disregard for traditionally established rules? ;)

By the way, I'm not ignoring your earlier response, I just haven't been able to listen to the examples you posted.

Definitely Mozart, his music is so insanely complex yet he can make it sound so simple when you listen to it the first time. After listening to any one of his pieces several times you realize how complex his compositions are and how subtle the instruments are playing in the background that you don't consciously pick up the first time.