• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The King Of Rock'n'Roll?

Carl Perkins

Yes and there is so many others, but people usually say that Chuck Berry is king of rock'n'roll and they are right.

I love Chuck's music, but I've never, ever heard anyone say he was the King of Rock and Roll???? There is only one King, and that was Elvis. It was a shame that the black artists received the treatment they did back in those days, but there is NO disputing who the true King was, and that was Elvis.

On a side note, one of my favorite Elvis songs, "Promised Land", was written by Chuck Berry.

I don't get the whole Elvis thing. So many people were doing similar music at the same time. He was just the most famous, and had the best look for television.

I think the king of rock has to be Justin Bieber.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
agreed. the music has evolved over the years and its been thanks to alot of different people

Thank you for agreeing , I believe what i said was true.

Buddy Holly pummels all of them.

No doubt that buddy and chucky were the most influential of the 50's rockers.
But it all molds together so I wouldn't consider anyone to be the King.
Elvis really didn't influence much future music either, but he had an influence for sure, just not much.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
No doubt that buddy and chucky were the most influential of the 50's rockers.
But it all molds together so I wouldn't consider anyone to be the King.
Elvis really didn't influence much future music either, but he had an influence for sure, just not much.

:clap: Well said (except for the "chucky" reference :rolleyes:). Elvis is typically referred to as "The King" but not for the reason that he was the most influential from a musical standpoint. However, you cannot deny his monumental effect on making rock 'n' roll the mainstream juggernaut it became and has been ever since. You might be better off making up a "Mt. Rushmore" of rock 'n' roll icons. In that case, my mountain would have Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and Little Richard carved into its side.

Well all Chuck's children are out there playing his licks
Get into your kicks
Come back baby
Rock 'n Roll never forgets

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
Buddy Holly was the first name that came to mind for me. I am convinced that, had he lived, he would have been able to evolve his talents enough to stay successful for a long, long time.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Who started it? How about Big Joe Turner or Louis Jordan? Add in the rockabilly influences of Les Paul and Johnnie Ray, and the record production of S am Phillips. The true "King Of Rock 'N Roll" has a lot of claims.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
The only reason Elvis is "The King" is because he was a good-lookin' white boy who (with Scotty Moore) played rock-n-roll. He made it okay for racist white people to like rock and roll.

It's obviously not any one person; but if I had to crown a King, it'd be the one that wrote pretty much all of his songs,set the benchmark for how good rock-n-roll is supposed to sound,laid the template for a rock-n-roll band-which is still followed today- ,inspired MILLIONS to play and perfected storytelling in the music.....

Since it obviously can't be any one person; it's two:

Chuck Berry and Johnnie Johnson

Buddy Holly did the same;but sadly,died waaaaaaaaaaay too soon.

And if this thread devolves into his condition in his final years, let's see how you would handle being a demi-god. I know I wouldn't last long.

Chuck Berry is still alive-and still playing.

Elvis was the equivalent of today's Pop star. Yeah he sang what was considered Rock-n Roll but he was just a pretty boy that could dance and sing. Buddy Holly was a true rocker and song writer. I don't dislike Elvis and he was very cool when he was young. but he was primarily a white boy that could sell black music to white kids.

"When Elvis Presley is dead and forgotten,
you will still remember Johnny Rotten".

Written on a wall in Copenhagen back in the 70's.

Buddy Holly was too poppy for rock'n'roll.
The same thing could have been said about The Beatles when they first came out.I believe Holly's music would have taken a turn to more substantive writing much like The Beatles, had he lived.