• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Fort Worth (TX) Police Officer Fired in Excessive Force Case

Facial_King

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/02/2442998/fort-worth-police-officer-fired.html

Excerpt:

FORT WORTH -- A Fort Worth police officer has been fired for using excessive force after officials said a police helicopter camera recorded him tripping a woman, then striking her repeatedly, including a blow to the face that caused her head to snap backward.

She suffered bruises, a bloody nose and broken teeth, according to a letter signed by Police Chief Jeff Halstead and filed with the Civil Service Commission on Thursday.

The incident was in March, just after the woman had led police on a 22-mile car chase.

Although the woman complied with police orders after finally pulling over, officer W.A. Featherston grabbed her left arm and intentionally tripped her, taking her facedown to the ground while still holding her arm, according to the letter. The officer then hit the woman with his left hand and repeatedly with his right knee.

Lt. Paul Henderson, a police spokesman, said the department began investigating Featherston after a sergeant watched the helicopter footage as part of a routine review and notified internal affairs.

Featherston, who has been with the department since September 2008, was indefinitely suspended effective Wednesday. His attorney, Chris Barrett of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, said Featherston will appeal.

"We disagree with the allegations as they are alleged in the discipline letter," Barrett said. "The facts that they've detailed in that letter simply are not accurate. Wes definitely looks forward to his opportunity at the upcoming arbitration hearing to tell his side of it."

Halstead said Thursday that he is thankful to the field supervisor who reported the incident.

"I will continue to hold employees accountable for the safety and well-being of our residents and citizens," Halstead said in a written statement to the Star-Telegram. "We have the greatest police officers in the country. ... [But] as I've said many times before, if any employee engages in physically abusive conduct towards our citizens, we WILL find them and I WILL fire them."

Muniz got out of her vehicle with her arms raised and was walking backward toward the patrol cars at the command of officers when Featherston grabbed her, sweeping her legs out from under her, the letter states.

Based on the video, the letter states, the woman had not resisted before Featherston struck her repeatedly. It states that Featherston struck the woman's face with his knee as she was on her elbows and knees, being placed under arrest by the other officers.