• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

------------ electoral college poll --------------------

SHOULD WE KEEP THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE -OR- ELECT PRESIDENTS/VICE PRESIDENTS BY POPULAR VOTE

• keep the electoral college

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • abolish electoral college and go with popular national vote

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do You Think The Electoral College Should Be Abolished or Kept As Is

Here is some background from the history channel: The electoral college system is set up to provide populous state vs small state representation.
The reason why we have both a senate- based on each states having equal representation & The House of Representatives- based on population is because of the Great Compromise.

They initially planned a legislative branch with one house as the legislative body.

Some wanted it based on population?
Some wanted it based on each state having equal representation?

To resolve the issue 2 houses to make up the legislative branch of government were planned in the constitution.

The electoral college was set to protect big population states vs small population states. (otherwise small states would be ignored in the campaign)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Constitutional Origins

The Constitutional Convention of 1787 considered several methods of electing the President, including selection by Congress, by the governors of the states, by the state legislatures, by a special group of Members of Congress chosen by lot, and by direct popular election. Late in the convention, the matter was referred to the Committee of Eleven on Postponed Matters, which devised the electoral college system in its original form. This plan, which met with widespread approval by the delegates, was incorporated into the final document with only minor changes. It sought to reconcile differing state and federal interests, provide a degree of popular participation in the election, give the less populous states some additional leverage in the process by providing “senatorial” electors, preserve the presidency as independent of Congress, and generally insulate the election process from political manipulation.

The Constitution gave each state a number of electors equal to the combined total of its membership in the Senate (two to each state, the “senatorial” electors) and its delegation in the House of Representatives (currently ranging from one to 52 Members). The electors are chosen by the states “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct “(U.S. Constitution, Article II, section 1).

Qualifications for the office are broad: the only persons prohibited from serving as electors are Senators, Representatives, and persons “holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States.”

In order to forestall partisan intrigue and manipulation, the electors assemble in their respective states and cast their ballots as state units, rather than meet at a central location. At least one of the candidates for whom the electors vote must be an inhabitant of another state. A majority of electoral votes is necessary to elect, a requirement intended to insure broad acceptance of a winning candidate, while election by the House was provided as a default method in the event of electoral college deadlock. Finally, Congress was empowered to set nationwide dates for choice and meeting of electors.

All the foregoing structural elements of the electoral college system remain in effect currently. The original method of electing the President and Vice President, however, proved unworkable, and was replaced by the 12th Amendment, ratified in 1804. Under the original system, each elector cast two votes for President (for different candidates), and no vote for Vice President. The votes were counted; the candidate receiving the most, provided it was a majority of the number of electors, was elected President, and the runner-up became Vice President. The 12th Amendment replaced this system with separate ballots for President and Vice President, with electors casting a single vote for each office.

The Electoral College Today

Notwithstanding the founders’ efforts, the electoral college system almost never functioned as they intended, but, as with so many constitutional provisions, the document prescribed only the system’s basic elements, leaving ample room for development. As the republic evolved, so did the electoral college system, and, by the late 19 century, the th following range of constitutional, federal and state legal, and political elements of the contemporary system were in place.

Allocation of Electors and Electoral Votes

The Constitution gives each state a number of electors equal to the combined total of its Senate membership (two for each state) and House of Representatives delegation (currently ranging from one to 52, depending on population). The 23rd Amendment provides an additional three electors to the District of Columbia. The number of electoral votes per state thus currently ranges from three (for seven states and D.C.) to 54 for California, the most populous state.

The total number of electors each state gets are adjusted following each decennial census in a process called reapportionment, which reallocates the number of Members of the House of Representatives to reflect changing rates of population growth (or decline) among the states. Thus, a state may gain or lose electors following reapportionment, but it always retains its two “senatorial” electors, and at least one more reflecting its House delegation.Popular Election of Electors

Today, all presidential electors are chosen by the voters, but, in the early republic, more than half the states chose electors in their legislatures, thus eliminating any direct involvement by the voting public in the election. This practice changed rapidly after the turn of the nineteenth century, however, as the right to vote was extended to an ever-wider segment of the population. As the electorate continued to expand, so did the number of persons able to vote for presidential electors, to its present limit of all eligible citizens age 18 or older. The tradition that the voters choose the presidential electors thus became an early and permanent feature of the electoral college system, and, while it should be noted that states still theoretically retain the constitutional right to choose some other method, this is extremely unlikely. The existence of the presidential electors and the duties of the electoral college are so little noted in contemporary society that most American voters believe that they are voting directly for a President and Vice President on election day. Although candidates for elector may be well known persons, such as governors, state legislators, or other state and local officials, they generally do not receive public recognition as electors. In fact, in most states, the names of individual electors do not appear anywhere on the ballot; instead only those of the various candidates for President and Vice President appear, usually prefaced by the words “electors for.” Moreover, electoral votes are commonly referred to as having “been awarded” to the winning candidate, as if no human beings were involved in the process.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Keep the electoral college.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I used to favor getting rid of it.
However in the cities voter fraud is massive or at least has been and has the potential to be.

BTW HC did not win the popular vote.
Not even considering the millions of illegals who voted, the multiple voters and the dead voters and the fraud in the precincts.
There are many write in votes that have yet to be counted including the overseas military personel votes.
We will never know for sure but many think if all the votes were counted Trump would have the popular vote as well.

zeeblofowl_1969

I don't know and frankly I don't care.
However in the cities voter fraud is massive or at least has been and has the potential to be.

Not even considering the millions of illegals who voted, the multiple voters and the dead voters and the fraud in the precincts.
There are many write in votes that have yet to be counted including the overseas military personel votes.
We will never know for sure but many think if all the votes were counted Trump would have the popular vote as well.

Keep eating what is fed to you.
Millions of illegals???
Just hilarious.

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.

Loyola Law School professor Justin Levitt has tracked credible allegations of in-person voter impersonation for years. He found 35 total credible allegations between 2000 and 2014, constituting a few hundred ballots at most, when more than 800 million ballots were cast in national general elections and hundreds of millions more were cast in primary, municipal, special, and other elections.
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/31/13478134/voter-fraud-id-2016-trump

Now please, show us the datas, the fatcs, the article (from credible sources), the surveys, backing your "massive voter fraud" allegations.

And YES, Hillary DID won the popular vote. by more than 2.000.000
Clinton's popular vote lead passes the 2 million mark
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lary-clinton-2-million-popular-vote/94339510/

I know some grave yard voting is going on even aven if by a living illegal but I am not sure how an illegal can vote

HOW IS IT DONE

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
They go into a polling place in a city and they vote.
I'm not going to debate this.

Hiliary didn't pander for the latino vote for no reason.
Judges in some states didn't make laws about showing ID when voting for nothing.
And the MSM who was completely in the bag for her didn't force down our throats that asking for ID to vote was racist for nothing.

I'm sure there were millions of fraudulent votes for her. I'm sure there was serious voter fraud in her favor.
And there are many votes still left uncounted. If they thought for a second that the majority of those votes were for Hiliary they'd have them counted by now.
Either way Trump won and now I sleep a little better knowing a crazy person doesn't have the keys to the Nukes.

pool_hustler

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!
And there are many votes still left uncounted.

Most that remain so are from states she won.

Whatever happened to your prediction she'd only win 15% of the popular vote?

Either way Trump won and now I sleep a little better knowing a crazy person doesn't have the keys to the Nukes.

Amen. I feel certain that a who is armed and ready to tweet at the slightest real or perceived offense would never have the temperament to abuse those keys.

Jack Davenport

Most that remain so are from states she won.

Whatever happened to your prediction she'd only win 15% of the popular vote?

Amen. I feel certain that a who is armed and ready to tweet at the slightest real or perceived offense would never have the temperament to abuse those keys.

Physically attacking people close to you when you don't win is such a redeeming quality and indicates the temperament needed for a president dontcha think?

I know ..I know..never happened..

There is no voter fraud..

And the media is totally fair and unbiased..

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I don't see the electoral college system being truly broken, so I would keep it as is. And while there have been, and there will continue to be elections where the popular vote winner will not win the election, rewarding the votes in large population states, that might lean one way or the other, with undue influence doesn't set well with me. Each state basically gets its say. So I say, keep it as is.

Also, people need to keep in mind that we have a republic, not a pure democracy.

sean miguel

Also, people need to keep in mind that we have a republic, not a pure democracy.

A democracy is mob rule with the the severed genitals of a royal paraded on a stick. The french revolution should serve as a warning for all - the downtrodden are not necessarily noble, quite the the opposite - they are more than likely murderous morons.

Thank God Almighty for the foresight of our founding fathers.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I never said she'd only get 15% of the vote.
I said in an honest election she would get that.
I'll even raise that to 25% at best just to be nice.
That's the way I feel.
No big deal.

pool_hustler

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!
Physically attacking people close to you when you don't win is such a redeeming quality and indicates the temperament needed for a president dontcha think?

Oh c'mon. You're way too intelligent to compare Trump's own words and actions to some completely unverified rumor instigated by a renowned Twitter troll.

Why not just grant that Trump's well documented temperament is a legitimate concern?
Doing so doesn't mean you have to divorce yourself from the policies you and he agree on.