• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Dealing with stolen gaming consoles

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
A couple weeks ago my place was broken into while I was at work. They stole any valuables that could easily be carried, including my game consoles (DS, several 3DSXL, etc). During a fucking viral pandemic. I guess my desktop PC & PS3 were too much trouble for them, so while I can still function on the internet, literally over a decade of savefiles, pictures, progress etc are all gone.

Obviously gaming is a big part of my life, and when I come home from work out in the pandemic, it was how I recover. The consoles & items they took aren't even worth that much on the market, but the stuff on them is priceless to me. And not only did these assholes take my valuables, it's also the sense of security that they took which is even worse. I get crime happens all the time, but at a time like this?? If anyone needs to die from covid, it's these fuckers.

With all the economic uncertainty, I'm not exactly sure if a new console purchase to replace the ones that were stolen is a good idea. Plus with (maybe) new consoles coming out this year, it might even be a better idea to save up for one of those.

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and maybe how they got over it. Because I'm having a pretty hard time doing so.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
When the food prices go up = The tech prices go down.
Side effect of economic collapse that non essentials will try to bottom out just to move some product. Wait for it, the prices wont be too bad.
On my 3ds I backup and upload my saves to the cloud, every so often. Did you put CFW on any of 'em? Do it on the next 3ds you get, sir. :)

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Sorry that happened. People can be real assholes sometimes.

tvstrip

Thanks guys. It has not been easy. I feel my mind really hasn't grasped the magnitude of the pandemic because it's been preoccupied with this.

Side effect of economic collapse that non essentials will try to bottom out just to move some product. Wait for it, the prices wont be too bad.
On my 3ds I backup and upload my saves to the cloud, every so often. Did you put CFW on any of 'em? Do it on the next 3ds you get, sir. :)
Sorry, don't know what CFW is. I kept main system "clean" (no hacks, etc, 100% legit), and from what I read there are no cloud saves. If I buy a new system, I can apparently remotely transfer my account to it, so while all the games will transfer, the savefiles & progress won't. Ninty tells me that even cloud-based games like badge arcade & pokemon bank won't transfer either, which is totally BS as that defeats the point of cloud saving. And of course, like a manual system transfer with both systems, personal files like photos won't transfer either, meaning all those 3D photos I've taken literally over the last decade are gone as well. That hurts, as many were places & people I probably will never see again...

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
CFW = custom firmware. It lets you back up your savegames to anything! :)
And also your games. And put games back on. But the best part is backing up your whole catalog of saves so you can rest easy at night about whether your DS breaks or, sadly.. really, I'm actually quite disheartened that you lost such a great console... but, um, yes.. so sadly if it gets stolen, at least your work is backed up.
CFW lets you back up everything, man. I'll walk you through it if you get another 3ds, and this is too little too late, I know.

yoyodude

Recommendation: www.myFreeOnes.com
So sorry that happened to you! I would be so pissed. Well if you're looking to replace the ones that were stolen the DS and 3DS are pretty much out of existence except maybe places like Amazon and Ebay which sells at a high price for brand new. You can probably get cheaper prices for used but I wouldn't count of it. Used items can break down at any moment and can be defective already. I would suggest maybe the Nintendo Switch Lite if you're into handheld gaming consoles or maybe wait until the end of the year. Rumor has it that a "Nintendo Switch 2" is in the works which is basically an upgraded version of the original Switch. You can also wait for the PS5 and Xbox Series X coming out this holiday.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Rumor has it that a "Nintendo Switch 2" is in the works which is basically an upgraded version of the original Switch.

Classic Nintendo move. I can't wait for the Switch 3DXL after that.

~~whimsy~~

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
If you were logged in on accounts are the system companies able to track that certain handheld serial number?

Also police will keep tabs on pawn, game stores and other places that can sell that too.

Hate that happened to you buddy

tvstrip

CFW = custom firmware. It lets you back up your savegames to anything! :)
And also your games. And put games back on. But the best part is backing up your whole catalog of saves so you can rest easy at night about whether your DS breaks or, sadly.. really, I'm actually quite disheartened that you lost such a great console... but, um, yes.. so sadly if it gets stolen, at least your work is backed up.
CFW lets you back up everything, man. I'll walk you through it if you get another 3ds, and this is too little too late, I know.
The main system that was stolen had all the digital games & progress which I always kept "clean". I didn't want any problems with it, and in any case with every "stability update" you'd have to update every over again. I did mod the other systems that were stolen to run firmware; those O3DSXL were easier to mod and are more expensive to buy (ironically the newer N2DS is about 1/3 the price. The one lucky thing is that I kept my copy of cubic ninja separately, so I still have that.

What gets me is the main system is probably worthless on the open market (the thumbpad is broken off) and being a used 3DSXL you'd be lucky to get $50, if that. So I bet they probably tossed it. Yet it's the one that has all my vacation photos, save progress etc. If it's worthless to a thief then why the fuck steal it in the first place???
But thanks for the offer. I might give it a shot if I find a new 3DS for a decent price; except pandemic pricing has really jacked prices up.

tvstrip

So sorry that happened to you! I would be so pissed. Well if you're looking to replace the ones that were stolen the DS and 3DS are pretty much out of existence except maybe places like Amazon and Ebay which sells at a high price for brand new. You can probably get cheaper prices for used but I wouldn't count of it. Used items can break down at any moment and can be defective already. I would suggest maybe the Nintendo Switch Lite if you're into handheld gaming consoles or maybe wait until the end of the year. Rumor has it that a "Nintendo Switch 2" is in the works which is basically an upgraded version of the original Switch. You can also wait for the PS5 and Xbox Series X coming out this holiday.
Thanks. Trust me, I know. and like I mentioned above, my main system that was stolen is worth so much more than any new system to me, but to anyone else is close to worthless. It's really put a damper on my gaming; right now the main (& only) game I'm playing is FFBE on an emulator on my PC. I had semi-quit it a while ago but got back into it as it's basically the only thing I have other than the PS3 that wasn't stolen.

tvstrip

If you were logged in on accounts are the system companies able to track that certain handheld serial number?

Also police will keep tabs on pawn, game stores and other places that can sell that too.

Hate that happened to you buddy
You'd think so, but ninty doesn't help unless you're actually the police with a warrant. And good luck finding a police officer willing to go through all the paperwork to just get that sort of warrant. I've asked all the local game shops to keep a watch out, but this happened right before the lockdowns so no one can and sell them...

But thanks for the support. Now you know why I've been back to FFBE these days.

darkwarrior3007

1,000 posts to go for my own user title!
Years ago I had my place broken into and my PS2, Xbox, some games and some DVDs were stolen. Eventually I ended up moving out of that area because I didn't feel comfortable living there.

Not likely. I had a detective who checked around for about a few days but it really amounts to nothing and he dropped it. I just collected the insurance money for the break in and bought all my stuff back.

tvstrip

Years ago I had my place broken into and my PS2, Xbox, some games and some DVDs were stolen. Eventually I ended up moving out of that area because I didn't feel comfortable living there.
So how did you deal with it (other than moving)? Moreso mentally than financially.

tvstrip

I guess it's the time in between then that is tough.
I hate how police basically don't give a shit unless someone is physically & seriously injured.

tvstrip

@Torre82min
I'm thinking of getting a N2DS XL as they're going cheap & it sounds like they're the best for modding.
I'm looking to take your advice - any tips/hints etc for CFW or any other modding? I've only used Ninjhax, but now that I'm starting from scratch, I'd like to make sure I get things right (& not brick anything).
Thanks!

tvstrip

Yeah, it's a new N2DS XL. They're gong cheap at retail, like cheaper than used console prices, so I figured now is the time to get one.