• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What the hell happened to the 24-hour grocery stores?

I'm on the west coast of the US so I'm talking Safeway, Albertsons, QFC and the like. They're all closed at like 12 AM now.

I just had a hankering for some cheddar chee ... ok, I was on a last minute booze run. There, I said it.

And what's with all the meth heads wandering aimlessly about the parking lots? It's like The Walking Dead but with more viewers.

I hear ya. I spent my teen years in Upstate NY, and the stores there were open 24/7, AND, sold beer! I'm now in MA. Nothing is open 24/7, and you have to hit a package store to get beer.. :-(

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
I love the Ralph's in Westwood Village. They were already a big store but took over the Best Buy right next to it and doubled in size, They have a full service, sit-down sushi bar (good sushi believe it or not), a smoothie bar, and 2 spots where you can sit down and drink beer or wine (sushi bar is one of them). Open 24 hours.

o.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

Ralphs-promo.jpg

o.jpg

Thankfully I have two that are still 24hours but the one everybody likes going to closes at 1am now. Because the new owners of the corporation says closing at 1am is the Texas Way! Yeah well now lost a lot of money from 2nd shift and night owls that loved shopping between 2-4am. Dumbasses. Fuck your Texas ways.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
What the hell happened to the 24-hour grocery stores?

And what's with all the meth heads wandering aimlessly about the parking lots? It's like The Walking Dead but with more viewers.

Maybe some correlation? :dunno:

Maybe some correlation? :dunno:

that had to have been a factor. On more than one occasion I've walked into my local grocery store late at night or early morning and there's like 5 staff members pinning down a homeless guy while he's screaming in some drug-induced psychotic episode and the police pulling up front.

FTS.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I kind of remember a Sam Kinison joke about Marlboro Reds ... He goes into a convenience store. Indians apparently own it or work there, and he makes fun of them after screaming at them. The joke ends with the store being open 24 hours but not in a row. Anyway, I thought it was funny. :)

I'm on the west coast of the US so I'm talking Safeway, Albertsons, QFC and the like. They're all closed at like 12 AM now.

I just had a hankering for some cheddar chee ... ok, I was on a last minute booze run. There, I said it.

Shell Gas Station for late night needs. Beer, liquor and even cheese. I can't stand the place personally but its one stop shopping for those late night essentials. Plus if you ever have to pinch one off on the run, Shell restrooms are normally spotless. Almost all are 24hrs but plan on paying premium prices.

Shell Gas Station for late night needs. Beer, liquor and even cheese. I can't stand the place personally but its one stop shopping for those late night essentials. Plus if you ever have to pinch one off on the run, Shell restrooms are normally spotless. Almost all are 24hrs but plan on paying premium prices.

but we have this stupid law up here that liquor can only be sold in a grocery store with a minimum of 10,000 square feet, which rules out gas stations / mini-marts

that's at least a step up from the state having a monopoly on it all as was the case up here since prohibition.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Speaking of beer, if you go to Ralph's and buy 4 six packs of beer they give you 30% off. I get great deals on those tasty, high alcohol content beers I like. Ralph's is pretty good on hard alcohol prices but I've got better deals at Vons. BevMo has good prices too along with great selection. I'd love to open a store here in California called PotMo.

but we have this stupid law up here that liquor can only be sold in a grocery store with a minimum of 10,000 square feet, which rules out gas stations.

that's at least a step up from the state having a monopoly on it all.

Ahh right on, when I lived in Virginia you had to get liquor at an actual liquor STORE. And the store hours(by law) were fucked, Noon till 9pm M-S and on Sundays you can't buy it at all -Closed. So if you wanted booze for the entire weekend you better stock up. :(

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Agreed ~ I miss the 24 hour days.
But it isnt cost-effective ~ those meth heads just walk in, grab a bite to eat, a 12 pack and walk back out. The cop that has to post up at the front of the store doesnt care for it, the overnight stock guys would rather not deal with anybody around them, the cashier is probably at his second job and just trying to pay off his student debt... and the meth heads hit the place up like a bed bug. They just keep coming, fattening up and not giving a care that their face is already memorized, already recorded, no ethical concerns beyond getting something they can sell at an awful price for an awful drug. They already know they can get their fix in whatever block they get sent to once they reach gen-pop.

You could say that .. *dramatic music plays* the world has a drug epidemic. Because it does.
Personally, I'm just an alcoholic. But I know what my drug-of-choice does to people. Drunks are pretty craptastic, generally.

We have a number of Harris Teeters in the area which are open 24 hours. I used to work 4PM - 2AM Wed-Sat night and would usually do all my grocery shopping after work on Saturday night when the place was deserted. Was very efficient and convenient. Couldn't buy beer as it was after 2AM but I'm more of a liquor person anyway.

I think the large 24 hour Wal-Marts took too much business away from them.

On the PotMo suggestion you are probably too late. I am so happy Cal legalized pot but I have know interest in using it.