• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Microsoft / Windows 10 sucks

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10s-latest-update-fail-could-be-its-most-serious-yet

We’ve previously reported that KB4532693 was causing some serious issues for Windows 10 users, with people's Start menus and desktops reverting to their default states.
However, it seems that issue is even more serious than first thought, as it appears that it is deleting any files saved on the desktop as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Previous update disables local searches if you arent online!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...re-provokes-questions-and-anger/#6e3b4daa34f4

I just backtracked my desktop to windows 7, last month. Thank G_d. (Some newer games are starting to have compatibility issues if not in win10)

My laptop, tho.. this thing runs win10.
Plot twist: I cant even update to version 1903, though! (may 2019's super unstable patch)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903
What an awful OS. :(
Maybe I should buy a PS5 when it comes out.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I gave up on Windows. Went to Mac about 3 years ago or so. Been happy since. It's refreshing to have a new system to play with and it's pretty damn solid.

D-rock

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
I could never get into Macs. I tend to dislike Apple as company in general. All their operating systems over the years seem non-intuitive to me after being used to Windows for years (even with as much flaws as Windows and Microsoft often has), and Macs to this day suck for gaming on the PC.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I could never get into Macs. I tend to dislike Apple as company in general. All their operating systems over the years seem non-intuitive to me after being used to Windows for years (even with as much flaws as Windows and Microsoft often has), and Macs to this day suck for gaming on the PC.

I was afraid it was going to be too different, but after Windows 7, let's be serious, things are a mess for privacy (a big topic for me) and stability. Another thing, I work on the computer for a living and I was just plain bored with it. I am not a computer gamer so that wasn't a factor for me. Computers = work. Last thing I want to do is keep sitting at the desk at the end of the work day. I plop down on my bed and fire up my consoles to relax.

I'm actually excited to be at the computer again, and I have my iMac to thank for that. Plus, I have Starcraft 1 and 2 and Red Alert Command and Conquer on it, should I feel so inclined :p

freeones_regina

Administrator
I have to say Windows 10 has been the most stable Windows version for me. Never have any problems and I've been using it since the beginning.
It must be a lot harder for Microsoft to maintain the OS with the tons of PC configurations out there as opposed to Apple that only offers a few choices for desktops.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
I've had only good things to say about XP and 7, a 'meh' about 8, a like for 8.1, and while 10 is more intuitive than previous versions (Memorizing control panel items, shortcuts to which policies and registry entries do what, etc) Ive had a number of stability and performance issues with it. 20 years of no startup issues since I left windows ME, and 10 brings me bad startups, drivers/modules that freeze up after a few days of uptime, and ... a slight quirk, but.. my touchpads behave differently.
on win7, it'd be touchy to a fault, so I simplyl avoided resting palm on it. 10 fixes that by adding a 'dead zone' of sorts (or the driver did) that doesnt activate certain mouse gestures (gawd bless mouse gestures, TBH) until a certain distance has traveled. While this improves web browsing, posting, writing.. certain other uses become QUITE difficult.

The dead zone in gaming kills twitchy games whereas before I could just mini-swipe, mini-click, etc.
In photo manipulation, freeform lasso selections are a pain in the ass. I only want THAT area selected, but I gotta press firmly enough for it to register, move a tiny bit until the movement begins, and when it clicks in, it becomes a momentum issue AND a touchpad real estate issue ~ I ran outta space on it, gotta mousefinger up and over.. and..

So yeah, not a dealbreaker, because I appreciate the mouse gestures to a fault! :) But like an onscreen keyboard in smartphones, the sensitivity between click/long click/drag/drop leaves room for errors.

And thats my 2 dollars. (hands it back to John Cusack so he can pay his bill)

P.S. oh, and the touchscreen worked perfectly in 8.1 but regardless of my power saving settings, registry hacks and driver rollbacks.. the touchscreen has this odd, well-known issue about not turning itself back on.. or on at all in win10.

I mention it because touchscreen photo manip is a wonderful thing, and 10 tries to stifle my wee lil creativity, too. ;)

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
I find mac/ios is harder to break, but harder to fix.

Something breaks in windows, (which admittedly can be frequent), unless it's a hardware issue it's generally easy to fix. Ios restricts users from tinkering, so unless you jailbreak I find it practically impossible to fix.
Plus like posted earlier, after literally decades of using Windows, you just know how it works, and how to fix it. I also like customizing my system & settings, which is a lot more intuitive and forgiving in windows.

XP was revolutionary, enough so that nobody remembers ME or vista. 7 was good too. 8 was a turdfest.

10 is ok, except for the forced updates. No system should be able to shutdown your system without your consent just to apply a regular update.
I've tried so many things to get around this; anyone every find a fix for it?

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
10 is ok, except for the forced updates. No system should be able to shutdown your system without your consent just to apply a regular update.
I've tried so many things to get around this; anyone every find a fix for it?

Yes, but with some exceptions. You can absolutely disable the more annoying features of win10 (defender, auto updates) if you have access go the policy editor.
This cannot be done on windows 10 Home edition.

How to disable automatic updates using Group Policy
On Windows 10 Pro, you can use the Local Group Policy editor to disable automatic updates permanently, or you can change the Windows Update settings to decide when updates should install.

Disabling updates
To permanently disable automatic updates on Windows 10, use these steps:

Open Start, type:
gpedit.msc
hit enter.
Navigate to the following path inside the global policy editor:
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.
Windows Update group policy settings
Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.
Group Policy disable Windows Update
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.

Other than that, on other editions you can only temporarily disable updates until a 'slightly' later date, and then it disables the button until you update.

OR..

Hold windows key, press R.
type:
regedit
hit enter,
Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

Right-click the Windows (folder) key, select New, and then click the Key option.

Name the new key WindowsUpdate and press Enter.
Right-click the newly created key, select New, and click the Key option.

Name the new key AU and press Enter.
Right-click on the right side, select New, and click the DWORD (32-bit) Value option.

Name the new key NoAutoUpdate and press Enter.
Double-click the newly created key and change its value from 0 to 1.

Windows 10 Registry key to disable automatic updates

Click the OK button.
Restart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even after all that, oftentimes the value decides to switch itself back after installing 'other' windows things. Update directX, install Visual C++ updates,
(Usually in the /redist directory for games and apps, you know the one) and if you decide to sideload updates off the website, they can-and-will do whatever they want to reenable. (Blame MS)

tvstrip

^^Thanks

I have Home Ed as I'm just a regular user, but I did find a way to add the group policy editor & do the steps you suggested. They did work, but as soon as I applied the next update it reset all those settings.

Your last solution I think I tried, but before I try it again, I just want to make sure, would that not only disable the forced update, but also disable to notification that an update is available?

I would like not having to manually check if an update is available every day (esp with all the 0-day fixes). Why can't they just do it like Win7 (& before) where it would tell you an update is available and bug you until you update? I'm fine with the reminders, I just don't like a forced shutdown and literally losing everything I have going on at the time (esp applications that don't have an autosave). Come on MS, is that too much to ask??

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Its all or nothing.
Due to design.
A thing I've tried to do, and I get limited success.. is kinda twofold:
I set my connection as 'metered' so that it goes into conservative background downloads mode, which shows me the updates when they become available. (I think! I dont trust windows not to background download, so...)
And then the annoying part ~ blocking windows updates download sites, but allowing the 'checker' to see that it exists.

pop open your hosts...actually ya know what, someone somewhere probably has a hundred video tutorials on it..

*googles it*

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/edit-hosts-file-windows-10/

and the list:

# windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
# windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 www.windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 download.windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 www.download.windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 v4.windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 www.v4.windowsupdate.com
# windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 v4windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net
# wustat.windows.com
127.0.0.1 wustat.windows.com

Its been a few years, but I believe leaving wustat allows a tiny bit of update telemetry to go thru, which I believe is what you wanted.

Other than that, if you ever get tired of the whole thing, besides taking the update service out of startup/normal running status..

Lemme see, here.. it used to be easy in windows before 10, just run msconfig and find it, now they integrated it into taskman..
alright, here it is, in task manager: wuauserv is the name, its the update service, you can right click on it and 'stop'
after that, find your .dll's, which should be in /WindowsUpdate which is in program filesx86 or the vanilla program files folder, unregister those,
e.g. pop open a cmd prompt and do a regsvr32 /U "C:\program shit\more directories\UPDAYTwindoze\spankAubreyPlaza.dll" for each file,
and then... (yeah more shit to do! :) ) delete everything in /temp, /wutemp and the base file.. base file is located in..
*explores over to it*

Eh, I cant find it. Somewhere in the windows directory, /i386/ServicePack or somesuch.
(Its been awhile)

And.. as said previously, its all kinda for naught. All that typing and changing things, because the update tends to rollback.. wait, better wording 'reset to defaults' your stuff.

So there ya go. I would recommend constant checking or just living with the win10 quirks. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 minutes after I proofread it edit: Well, I suppose if you felt like turning it on and off at will, you could write a couple .BATch files to have it done for you, when you need it.
But then again, win10 home is really not suited to changing power user settings, and you'd have to restart a couple times.. but always remember the power of a well-written batch file for making your life hell while you write it, and saving you a million migraines, later. :)

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
I've hated Win10 since it came out. This is what happens when you have only 2 OS's to choose from. We need choices. That way MS doesn't just sit on their fat laurels and thumb their sticky, Cheetoh's-soaked fingers at us. 🙌

D-rock

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
After all this time I've just sort of given up on there being both a decent widespread stable and secure operating system and one that's easy and intuitive to use for the layman.

The last one the world had was Windows XP 20 freaking years ago which goes to show the state this whole thing is in.

I understand that electronics and programming gets more complex as time goes on and it gets harder to keep everything in check, but it could have been done better than it has been. I've settled for being happy if things mostly work anymore.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Google Chrome keeps freezing up, because it doesn't interface with shitty Windows10 worth a damn. Windows 10 sucks my dead grandmother's ass, and should be burned in Hell along with Hitler's jockey shorts. Fuck you, Microsoft. You can lick my sugary nutsack using your wife's ass-licking tongue. You bitches.

yoyodude

Recommendation: www.myFreeOnes.com
I'm still on Windows 8. Had this laptop for about 6 years now. Don't know how longer it will last as the batteries don't charge anymore and I have to keep the charger plugged in all the time. I've yet to experience Windows 10 so I guess I'm lucky?

tvstrip

Question: How long do you guys usually wait before updating Windows 10? Not the minor patches, but the major revision updates.

I typically wait until I'm forced to upgrade, like I did just recently to 1909.

Of course, now I'm seeing 2004 & reading all the horror stories about it (like with every major revision), so I'm in no rush to update again.

How long do you guys wait before updating? & Is there really any reason not to wait until you're forced to? After all, you still get all the security patches etc.