• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Alright, I'm going to say it. I'm bored of my computer. I work on it a lot and I'm desperate for a change enough to consider looking into Macintosh. For a lifelong PC user, this isn't as easy as it sounds. They don't make them as obvious as you would think as far as specs and what they really do. What the hell am I looking at?

Who uses a Mac? Is compatibility with Windows users still awful? Are they worth the price?

Discuss!

Last edited:

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
My iMac is a 2011 3.4 GHz i7 model and it's still humming along quite nicely. I maxed it out with RAM early on and I run Parallels on the second monitor, so I can run Winders programs seamlessly - never had a hitch.

I have some Windows boxes and laptops laying around for specialty work, but it's seldom that I even have to turn them on.

IMO, because of the quality, longevity and versatility, they're worth the money. But if you only need a cheap computer for interweb surfing, they're probably not worth the money. If you're a heavy gamer, I'd probably opt for something else too. But if you do any sort of graphic intensive or higher end "real work" processing, definitely. Some time later this year, I'll probably get a MacBook Pro, that I can plug into a full size monitor when I want to. Otherwise, I can lug it along with me when I do have to work while traveling. I'll put Parallels on it too and probably load Windows 7 (as I prefer that Windows OS over the bloated, spyware OS versions that came later).

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
I don't really PC game, so that part isn't holding me back. I play retro consoles for the most part. My biggest hangup is comparability with others for work purposes. I would hate to switch then not be able to throw something in a zip or use Excel and stuff. You obviously can't seamlessly use Excel and Word can you?

Rey C.

The program that I was talking about (Parallels) allows that. I think Macs also come with a native program called Bootcamp that allows you to run any Windows OS too. I just opted for Parallels. Plus, there are Mac versions of most any Windows program that you'd want to use. I just happened to have an old copy of XP SP3 and I like it (well, "like" isn't the right word... more like I'm very used to it).

What I basically have in front of me is one computer and two monitors: one running the Mac OS and the other running Windows. I could do the same thing with one monitor, just flip back and forth like with any other program.

I haven't been keeping up with bench tests lately. But some site ran a test several years ago and found that the best Windows computer was.... a Mac. :D One way I've justified the Apple premium was that after 7 years of ownership, I've only had this thing worked on once, and that was under warranty. I still have a Mac Plus that I bought back in 1986 and the dang thang still works!!! :eek: I have no Wintel machines older than 5 years old that still fully function. I treat them like disposable Bic lighters. Macs, I keep.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
You know whats another issue that could steer me towards Mac? How about privacy?

Windows 10 was a hot topic for a few months regarding the data mining in the background but it seems like society is becoming apathetic in the fight for privacy. In a world where apps are installed and no fucks given about the permissions, do you think Mac OS and programs is more privacy oriented than Windows?

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
I may be picking up a Mac in the next few days or so. Maybe. Still doing a lot of research about it.

Too bad ShayD isn't around anymore.

Anyways I do know if you do get Mac get MalwareBytes for it at least. And a decent anti virus still.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member

Anyways I do know if you do get Mac get MalwareBytes for it at least. And a decent anti virus still.

I use that here and there, its not so awful.

ChuckFaze

Closed Account

I've always heard Mac users rave / brag about NOT needing ANY anti-malware programs. They seem to believe / interpret that Macs are immune to malware. I'm more inclined to believe those experts who think otherwise and say that it's not so much that Macs cannot get infected, but rather that their much smaller market share makes malware creators not spend remotely as much time creating malware for Macs.

Rey C.

You know whats another issue that could steer me towards Mac? How about privacy?

Windows 10 was a hot topic for a few months regarding the data mining in the background but it seems like society is becoming apathetic in the fight for privacy. In a world where apps are installed and no fucks given about the permissions, do you think Mac OS and programs is more privacy oriented than Windows?

Exactly. It's like watching a wolf convince a flock of happy-go-lucky sheep that he isn't such a bad guy... all while two sheep a night go missing. Whether it's Android or Windows 10, certain OSs and companies (Facebook, Samsung, Vizio, Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei, etc.) seem to have zero respect for consumer privacy... and/or they actively data mine their customers. If you have Facebook installed on an Android phone or a Windows 10 computer, why even wear clothes when you go outside? Why even have curtains or blinds in your house? :dunno:

Thus far, Apple has been pretty good about guarding the privacy of its users and their data, at least in the U.S. (in China, not so much) - right to the point of making enemies in U.S. law enforcement. But as has been said, it's wise to use spyware protection on any and all computers. Macs are not immune, although the Windows side of my computer is walled off and unable to access the internet. ;) But Windows 10 is such a deplorable OS when it comes to privacy and data mining that I can't figure out how large, security conscious organizations, like banks and brokerages, can even use it, unless they're able to have it heavily modified (and we don't hear about it).

I've always heard Mac users rave / brag about NOT needing ANY anti-malware programs. They seem to believe / interpret that Macs are immune to malware. I'm more inclined to believe those experts who think otherwise and say that it's not so much that Macs cannot get infected, but rather that their much smaller market share makes malware creators not spend remotely as much time creating malware for Macs.

I agree with you 100%. A lot of Mac and iOS users are fanbois and have drunk way too much Kool-aid. The Mac installed base is smaller than the Windows base and that's one reason why not as much focus was put on hacking the OS. Another reason is that Mac and iOS are inherently more secure, but they can still be vulnerable. Macs and PCs now share many of the same components and architecture that make both vulnerable to things like Spectre and Meltdown, for instance.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
So I got my Mac. Have to say it... I love it. Running a 2013 iMac with High Sierra and she's a pretty nice machine. Not as different as I was expecting, but different enough that it seems new and exciting. I'm even running Microsoft Office on it. Not bad at all.

Rey C.

Good deal, my man. I do believe that you're going to like it for years to come. :hatsoff: