• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Hot Stove 2021-2022

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Will there be a 2022 season?

After the Mets and Rangers went splurging over the last week, it would be easy to overlook the Orioles signing Rougned Odor and the Pirates picking up Jose Quintana.

In other Pirate news:
- Colin Moran (part of the Cole trade to the Astros) was DFA’d
- Gold Glove catcher Jacob Stallings was shipped off to the Marlins.

The Bucs only lost 101 in 2021. 2022 isn’t looking much better at this point.

Reactions: sj1

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Sounds like the current CBA is not going to be ratified. Baseball clubs have just had their facilities shut down since 12 am today. Yes the lockout is in effect. Everything is on lockdown. All of this means that there will be no early training for pitchers and players. They have about six weeks before spring training starts. If there aren't preseason games being played by February 18, 2022 you can probably count the 2022 MLB season lost.

legmann61

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, Freeones lasts forever
I think they'll settle and play a full schedule in 2022.
There's just too much at stake for both sides, especially after the lost revenue from the pandemic.

Barring something crazy, it looks like Showalter will be the new Mets' manager. Excellent choice at this moment in the franchise.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
This lockout is driving me nuts!! :brick:
See I told you so. The owners and dealing with the MLB Players Association always makes for tough negotiations. Billionaires dealing with millionaires. Many players remain unsigned. Pitchers and catchers report almost always a few days after the Super Bowl. Position players report a week later during the second week of February. Excepting those players from Venezuela, the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean islands to get visas to play in the United States. They have a few extra days to get their papers in order. Everyone in camps by February 15th. Mark the date February 18, 2022 with preseason games. If they are not being played, then it looks like they are not going to be playing baseball in the spring. Oh well, fans will need to do something else. They'll have to. Go to the movies once Covid-19 ends.

Last edited:

gmase

The Yankees' new hire for their low-A team the Tampa Tarpons (yes, really).
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...nor-league-manager-will-take-over-low-a-club/
rachel-balkovec.png

legmann61

See I told you so. The owners and dealing with the MLB Players Association always makes for tough negotiations. Billionaires dealing with millionaires. Many players remain unsigned. Pitchers and catchers report almost always a few days after the Super Bowl. Position players report a week later during the second week of February. Excepting those players from Venezuela, the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean islands to get visas to play in the United States. They have a few extra days to get their papers in order. Everyone in camps by February 15th. Mark the date February 18, 2022 with preseason games. If they are not being played, then it looks like they are not going to be playing baseball in the spring. Oh well, fans will need to do something else. They'll have to. Go to the movies once Covid-19 ends.

In any other year, I’d probably agree with you, John. But this is hardly “any other year.”

After 2 years of Covid (lost revenues, delays, etc), the last thing MLB wants is a shortened season. Way too much at stake for both the owners and players.

Trust me, these greedy owners will do everything in their power to have a full 162 game schedule this year.

I think they'll start the regular season on time.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Call the MLB season off. This (a full hundred and sixty-two game season) is not going to happen. ** The Super Bowl will be delayed by a week because of an additional game in the NFL schedule. The MLB lockout is causing many issues. Pitchers and catchers need to report very soon. Rest of the team follows a week later. Foreign players, (Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and Caribbean islands) need paperwork and visas. They report a few days later after the position players do. The lockout is preventing all players from getting in their early workouts and the weight rooms are closed off to them. Pre-season games need to start February 16, 2022. So many players remain unsigned. Team representatives (managers, coaches, general managers, front office) can't even talk to the players that are signed.

The MLB Players Association is not going to stand for seven inning doubleheaders, or having a runner on second base during extra innings. The league can't even decide if the designated hitter rule will be in the National League. The union has to ratify that proposal too.

** A water downed schedule of 60 or so games, like we had in 2020, does not define a World Series Champion. Baseball teams play a grinding schedule that's long and drawn out for a reason. Say what you will, but for the baseball traditionalists (like me), the Los Angeles Dodgers were not the true World Series Champions. Yes, they broke a thirty-two year streak in being post season failures. The Los Angeles Dodgers as a team spend the most money each and every year and are the most fiscally irresponsible team in all of MLB and maybe in all of professional sports. Always paying the luxury tax annually. Yet they have no World Series trophies and their players have no World Series rings during all of that time. Also for example, they release players through the designated for assignment rule, sure all teams do that. But for the the Dodgers, they led MLB with the highest payroll of cut and released players sixteen years in a row. Therefore they are on the hook for players' salaries, such as Jason Schmidt, James Loney, Manny Ramirez, Juan Uribe, and Andruw Jones. Then more recently: Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley, Chris Perez, Mat Latos, and Ted Lilly years after they leave the playing field. What team goes out and picks up a record fourteen (14) players at the trading deadline? Well, in 2015, that's exactly what they did. Overall, in 2020, they got a garbage World Series trophy for a garbage team. (Being a San Francisco Giant fan gives me the right to say that.)

Last edited:

legmann61

It's extremely frustrating that this situation has been lurking for 2 years. Two. Freakin. Years. Yet neither side took any sort of action to try to prevent it. These negotiations should've been ongoing for the past year - yes, during the season.

So now, we have each side sending proposals and it's like "we'll get back to you in a few weeks". One would think there should be a strong sense of urgency here but there isn't.

As a fan, I'd hate to see the season cancelled because baseball is the only sport I regularly watch now. For the players (especially the unsigned free agents), it must suck knowing that if the season is cancelling, everyone will be one year older. Who knows what kind of shape they'll be in and how much their skills will be diminished. For the owners.... well frankly, fuck the owners! Bob Nutting, for example, is a billionaire and still refuses to spend enough to improve the lowly Pirates.

gmase

I :love: any post calling out Bob Nutting (especially from a non-yinzer). He is exhibit A as to why a salary minimum is needed.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I :love: any post calling out Bob Nutting (especially from a non-yinzer). He is exhibit A as to why a salary minimum is needed.
Well if they don't have a salary minimum or cap there's going to be teams that will just cease existing in MLB, i.e., the Pirates, Diamondbacks, Marlins, Tigers, Orioles, Rangers, Phillies, Nationals, etc. All the best players will be signed by the big money teams, i.e., the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, etc. That throws competitiveness right out the window. The luxury tax just doesn't work. The Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox will keep on spending regardless of what their payrolls are. They don't care.

Last edited:

gmase

Exactly why I said a minimum is necessary. The small market teams can only stay good for a couple years. Then the talent leaves for greener pastures. Or they get traded for lottery tickets and a couple AAAA players with ‘untapped’ potential.

It won’t work for the MLB model, but I like the European model of relegation. There is an incentive to win and consequences to losing.