• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Eve Online Players

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
Staff member
Just curious if we have any New Eden residents around here?

D-rock

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Eve Online AKA the most glorified spreadsheet interface humanity has ever created.

In all seriousness it was something at one time I really wanted to get into. There were just a couple of issues I had with it. The biggest being it seems like the type of game if you are going to take it seriously you pretty much have to devote most of your life to it, and I didn't have time to do that.

Another thing is while I'm completely aware that backstabbing, political intrigue, economic warfare, and just general asshattery is both an expected and accepted part of the game (and I have no problem with that as long as it's generally accepted with the player base as a whole) I think too often those things happen at a too metagame level and it takes away from the immersion of the game. That also makes it somewhat of a real life simulator in futuristic space, and sometimes I like playing games because they aren't real life.

While I take the actual money cost of some of the ships with a grain of salt, and don't always think the conversions are realistic when stories are printed about them, the grind in it is ridiculous nontheless, unless your at the at a good point of a pyramid somewhere and that doesn't happen starting out and climbing it involves dealing with all those points above.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Is it one of those games where if you don't log in every 8 hours, someone blows up your ship or can you be casual? I played a game once where that happened and it made me so fucking mad. As a rule, I can't deal with multiplayer. Ideally, I can see where it could be fun, but people online are assholes. Still, I'm downloading it to check it out.

Last edited:

Petra

Staff member
@D-rock I don't do the spreadsheet thing. There's enough tools out there so I can get buy without having to do it. ;-)

It can be a big time sync. But I think the nice thing is, you don't have to be playing to level skills. Just dump them in your queue and they train while you're away (there's even an app where you can manage your skill queue). I do put quite a lot of time into the game now, BUT I had started to get quite a bit of attention within the community on Twitch so I'm now trying to grow the viewership. However, before, I only logged in an hour or two a night (my normal gaming schedule) to putz around and do stuff.

It wasn't till I went on my first NPSI fleet (not purple, shoot it) that I got hooked and pretty much exclusively do fleet activity. In fact, our corp CEO and one of the FCs (fleet commanders) only logs in about 5 min before fleet and logs off almost immediately afterwards 1-2x a week. That's exactly how much time he puts into the game.

As far as the grind, getting an income in game is annoying. There are things you can put a few hours a month into to get a few billion isk banked and then you can live on that for awhile. I personally don't fly expensive ships so the few hours a month PVE activity keeps me going. It also helps people gift me ships and in game money via my streams as well and that helps supplement.

If you want to give it a go, let me know. I mean, you can do quite a lot with a free account to see if you like it.

@FreeOnes_Adam there's only a few instances in the game where you have to log in and do something or lose it. That's mostly a pretty high level of play. Like if you have a structure you have to fuel... You're not going to lose anything unless you had it in a player structure that got blown up. I mean, Anders logged in after 5 years and all his shit was still there. You can even log off in space and it's fine (mind, logging back in could be interesting depending on WHERE you logged out in space).

Best thing to do is install it and give it a go. You can do quite a lot with a free account and if you play in potato mode it works fine of older PC's. You can do quite a bit solo too, though going out with a fleet and blowing people up is always fun. ;-)

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I'll give it a shot and poke around. I like space shit.

Petra

Staff member
If you take the mimintar race (it really doesn't matter which, you can get into all faction ships eventually) and can get into a thrasher (destroyer class) by Sunday, 9pm Amsterdam (think 2pm your time if you're not sleeping) time, you can come out with the fleet I'm FCing. It's meant for newbish players. My in game name is Kshal Aidron so you can add me as a contact.

Automate

Tip: install a spycam in your toilet.
The stories you hear about all the crazy shit going on in the game seem to be the most interesting things Eve has. But playing it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as interesting from what I've seen from some videos.

Furthermore, I saw that you don't actually get to fly the ships, just select targets or destinations. That killed it completely for me. It might have been great if it were a Descent: Freespace 2 in massive scale. Although larger battles that have thousands of ships would be unplayable due to the lag..

Anyway, I will never pay for any subscription-based game. That's what it would end up being, because PLEX are rather expensive to get with in-game credits from what I remember.. if you even can do that anymore.

Edit: Apparently you can still do quite a lot with a free account. Yay for that.

Last edited:

Petra

Staff member
Well, the ships do have modules. So you have to select them and run your ship that way. For example, you have to manage shields, armor repair, capacitor management, etc.

Personally, most of the PVE stuff I'd rather shove a fork in my face than do (like mining). I'm firmly into the pvp side of the game, specifically fleet action. Unlike Warcraft or Elder Scrolls Online raids that have scripted mechanics, when you're flying in Eve you never know who you're going to meet where. Maybe it's some poor sod travelling in a cheap frigate, maybe it's a mining operation or people ratting in expensive, blingy ships that are ignoring their intel channels. Maybe it's another fleet.

Right now we have a war going on and there can easily be 3k people in one system duking it out. It's pretty impressive to be honest.

This is one of the videos from a fleet I flew in where some people ganking people had a very, very bad night. https://youtu.be/I0X6luebLak

And yes, there's quite a lot you can do with an alpha account.