• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2014 Was The Warmest Year in Modern Record

The year 2014 was the warmest in modern record, according to two independent analyses by scientists at NASA and the National Ocean Atmospheric Administration. And, with the exception of 1998, the 10 warmest years in modern record occurred in the 21st century. These results, NASA says, are part of a long-term warming trend that is largely driven by an increase in carbon dioxide emissions, as well as other human emissions, into the atmosphere.

"The globe is warmer now than it has been in the last 100 years and more likely in at least 5,000 years," climate scientist Jennifer Francis of Rutgers University told the Associated Press. "Any wisps of doubt that human activities are at fault are now gone with the wind."

To reach these conclusions, NASA and NOAA analyzed global temperature data. The analyses showed that the Earth's average surface temperature has warmed by 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees celsius) since 1880, when records were first kept. That warming, NASA explains, has largely taken place over the last 30 years.

"This is the latest in a series of warm years, in a series of warm decades," NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies director Gavin Schmidt said in a press release. "While the ranking of individual years can be affected by chaotic weather patterns, the long-term trends are attributable to drivers of climate change that right now are dominated by human emissions of greenhouse gases."

NASA and NOAA's results do not mean that temperatures will keep increasing at a steady pace every year. Because of weather events like El Nino and La Nina — phenomena that warm and cool the tropical Pacific — year-to-year fluctuations will still occur. But it's important to note that 2014's record-breaking temperatures weren't the result of an El Nino event. Indeed, no El-Nino weather oscillations took place that year.

Prior to 2014, the Earth's warmest years were 2005 and 2010. A warm December, reports NBC, is the reason 2014 was able to pull ahead.

Also the sea level rise is accelerating faster than thought

The rate at which the global oceans have risen in the past two decades is more significant than previously recognised, say US-based scientists.

Their reassessment of tide gauge data from 1900-1990 found that the world's seas went up more slowly than earlier estimates - by about 1.2mm per year.

But this makes the 3mm per year tracked by satellites since 1990 a much bigger trend change as a consequence.

It could mean some projections for future rises having to be revisited.

"Our estimates from 1993 to 2010 agree with [the prior] estimates from modern tide gauges and satellite altimetry, within the bounds of uncertainty. But that means that the acceleration into the last two decades is far worse than previously thought," said Dr Carling Hay from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

"This new acceleration is about 25% higher than previous estimates," she told BBC News.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30816143

Yet still people think that climate change isn't happening.

Who do those scientists at NASA, with all their 'research' and 'evidence' think they are?

Mayhem

Banned
I've been following Alpine Skiing and Biathlon. One of the common themes, week after week, is none of the venues have as much snow as they're used to having. And a lot of the day events are actually above freezing. 0'c as the Euros say.

Yet still people think that climate change isn't happening.

Who do those scientists at NASA, with all their 'research' and 'evidence' think they are?
You do know that this science thing is the biggest hoax in History, don't you ?

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
What? Wait a minute. My cars guzzles less gas and I'm reusing my plastic bags. How can this still possibly be happening?

What? Wait a minute. My cars guzzles less gas and I'm reusing my plastic bags. How can this still possibly be happening?
Because Ace, Will and some other nutjobs don't do it.

FYI, just because it's freezing outside and there's tons of snow on the ground, that doesn't disprove climate change. Climate and weather are two different things

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Last night we had a low of 33° and a high of 85° this afternoon here in the Pineywoods of Deep East Texas. Is that normal anywhere?

FYI, just because it's freezing outside and there's tons of snow on the ground, that doesn't disprove climate change. Climate and weather are two different things

After warming nature reverses it self to cold. This is via of the ocean currents adjusting meaning we will see another ice age soon.

BlkHawk

Closed Account
Last night we had a low of 33° and a high of 85° this afternoon here in the Pineywoods of Deep East Texas. Is that normal anywhere?

If it makes you feel better we hit -28 last week, and this week we are approaching the 50's. I don't think I have ever seen a 50 degree swing in temperature in 24 hours though.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
They reported this with %38 certainty. But they neglected to state that in the initial release.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
If it makes you feel better we hit -28 last week, and this week we are approaching the 50's. I don't think I have ever seen a 50 degree swing in temperature in 24 hours though.

Pretty common here between summers to see a fifty degree swing in 24 hours, I think I've seen it shift as much as seventy degrees in twenty four hours a few times, low 20's one morning followed by low nineties the same afternoon.

If 2014 was the coldest/mildest year on record it would still be attributed to man-made global warm ... err... climate change.

Presupposition FTW.

that is kind of a straw man argument. if you are at either extreme the scientists are going to look in to it and try to attribute it to something. you will note that the scientific community has moved on from the term global warming because they got that wrong and they admit it. climate change is very real and human interaction with our ecosystems has created extremes in our weather. i dont understand what the benefit is of denying that or what the down side of trying to treat this planet better in general is. if someone says they are trying to reduce their carbon footprint and use less gas and be (what they consider to be) more ecologically friendly why would anyone find something negative about that? that just seems silly

If someone wants to use less gas and recycle then more power to them. I'm not opposed to be being environmentally friendly if it means cleaner air and water but frame it as such instead of some pending global catastrophe that if you express any doubts over you're a heretic and according to some like Robert Kennedy Jr. you should criminally prosecuted for.

If man-made climate change is such an imminent threat then why are countries like China and India given a pass? Why aren't we going to war with China since they are the most egregious offender?

In lieu of a religion everyone needs a ... religion.